Everyone is excited that Spring is finally here and before you know it summer will be here. As you think about baseball, days at the beach and the other great things about summer, don't forget about your air conditioner.
Spring is not only a transition time for the seasons, but it is also a transition for your HVAC system. Here are some simple tips on how to get your air conditioner ready for the summer heat...
Test your air conditioner while it's still mild outside Let your air conditioner ease back into the demands of summer by testing it on those warmer days when you rely on it. If there is a problem, it is better to address it now instead of waiting during the peak summer months when you might have to wait to see a heating and air professional.
- Turn on the power to your unit Makes sure that your unit is receiving power by checking any power switches or circuit breaks that control your condensing unit.
- Remove the Cover While Legacy Heating and Air doesn't recommend using an air conditioner cover during the winter, we definitely DO NOT recommend turning it on while there is a cover on the air conditioner. This will cause SERIOUS problems if you decide to run the air conditioner with the cover on.
- Clean your condenser unit During the winter, your outside condenser unit will probably have dead leaves, twigs and other debris built up around it. Make sure you clean all visible objects from the condenser unit.
- Good Time to change your air filter If you haven't changed your air filter for a while, this is a good time to remember to do that. If you have an Aprilaire Filter, you will only need to change the filter every 6 to 12 months so this might be a good time to do that if you haven't done so already.
- Change your thermostat settings You might need to change your thermostat settings from heat to cool. Some thermostats have auto settings which will accomplish this program.
If this seems like a lot, Legacy Heating and Air will be happy to come out and do an Air Conditioner check up and make sure that your air conditioner is ready to keep you cool these warm days that are approaching.