Spring is here!
Let us help you get your HVAC system ready for changing temperatures.
The weather is warming up, which means spring cleaning is top of mind. If you want to keep your home feeling clean and comfortable all summer long, make sure HVAC maintenance is part of your spring-cleaning to-do list. Before you flip on the air conditioning, make sure your HVAC system is ready for the season ahead with these simple maintenance tips…
Why Is HVAC Maintenance Important?
Similar to keeping your car road-worthy with regular oil changes and occasional repairs, your HVAC system needs regular service and preventative maintenance to continue running properly. Taking the time to perform a few simple maintenance tasks in the fall and winter offers several important benefits:
- Reduces energy bills
- Improves efficiency
- Prevents breakdowns and expensive repairs
- Extends the life of your system
- Helps maintain your system’s warranty
- Makes safety a priority
- Reduces indoor air pollution
Between hot summers and frigid winters, our HVAC systems are kept hard at work in the Midwest. Performing regular maintenance on your HVAC system ensures that it’s in good working order when you need it most.
Spring Maintenance Tips For Your HVAC System
Well-maintained HVAC systems can run reliably for decades. Avoid costly repairs and breakdowns by performing these simple tasks as the season changes:
- Change The Filters: Changing your air filters not only helps keep your indoor air fresh and healthy but also helps your system run more efficiently.
- Clean Registers and Fans: Check that registers are dust-free, open, and not blocked by furniture. Clean your ceiling and bathroom fans to get them ready for regular use.
- Clear Debris From Your AC Unit: Clean away lawn debris from around your AC to ensure it can run properly. Remove any grass, leaves, and dirt from the unit itself by simply spraying with a hose using light pressure.
- Schedule a Duct Cleaning: If it’s been at least 5 years since your last duct cleaning, then it’s time to put it on the calendar. Duct cleaning removes hair, dirt, dust, and allergens from your ducts helping keep indoor air healthy and your system running efficiently.
- Test Your System: Turn on your system and observe any noises, smells, or anything out of the ordinary. Be sure to change the temperature and see how your system responds.
- Set Up the Dehumidifier: Humid air is heavy and will settle in the basement creating ideal living conditions for mold and mildew. Be sure you’re ready to handle extra moisture.
- Change Batteries: Spring is a great annual reminder to change the batteries in your thermostat, smoke alarms, and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Schedule a Tune-Up: During an AC tune-up, a skilled technician will inspect the unit carefully, clean components that are prone to build-up, and test the unit to be sure it’s functioning properly. This should be done each year before you begin using your air conditioning regularly.
Does Your AC Need Replacement?
The last thing you want to happen is to have your AC breakdown in the middle of a heatwave this summer. If you suspect your air conditioner is ready to be replaced, here are some sure signs you need to call in the pros:
- Strange sounds
- Odd smells
- Higher utility bills
- Your system is constantly running
- The air isn’t cool
- Your system is old
- Moisture and humidity issues
Another sign you may need to plan for an upgrade or repair is if you’re AC relies on something called R22 refrigerant. There is currently a phase-out underway for these types of systems due to environmental concerns. Check your owner’s manual or the outside of your AC unit to find out.
The pros at Legacy are ready to help you plan and prepare for an air conditioning upgrade. Lear
n more about AC services and brands we trust here.
Call The Pros
Keeping your AC running reliably in the summer is a necessity. Nobody wants to spoil the fun in the sun with expensive repairs and breakdowns. The Pros at Legacy are ready to keep your summer cool and comfortable. You can conveniently schedule your annual air conditioning tune-up and other HVAC services online with our team here.