Spring is a great time to perform regular maintenance and cleaning around the house, but if you haven´t added a duct cleaning to your list in a few years, it’s time to get it done.
Did you know that your indoor air can be up to five times dirtier than outdoor air? According to the EPA, Americans spend 90% of their time indoors where pollutants can be 2-5 times greater than those outside. The people most affected-like the very young, elderly, or those with chronic health issues-spend the most time indoors.
What Are Air Ducts?
Air ducts are an “invisible” part of your home’s HVAC system. Air ducts are connected to your HVAC unit and work to circulate your indoor air providing comfort and elevating indoor air quality. They work on a supply and return system in which vents pull air from inside and registers push warm or cool air out.
Your ductwork is likely not something you think of unless you’re experiencing issues like:
- Uneven temperatures (rooms that are too hot or too cold)
- High utility bills
- Loud noises like whistling, rattling or banging
- Little or no air flow
- Poor indoor air quality
One thing to note about your HVAC system is that it’s not pulling air from outside, it’s circulating air from inside the home. Because your indoor air is constantly being recycled through your HVAC system, dust, allergens, mold, and other irritants can settle within the ductwork and be distributed throughout your home resulting in “dirty” indoor air.
Benefits Of Clean Air Ducts
The National Air Duct Cleaners Association recommends cleaning your air ducts every 3-5 years. There are a number of great reasons to follow their guidelines
- Better Indoor Air Quality: Stop dust, dirt and irritants from circulating throughout your home.
- Reduce Allergy Sensitivity: If seasonal allergies are keeping you indoors, cleaning your ducts may reduce allergens that sneak inside and circulate through your ducts making the suffering worse.
- Prevents Pests From Getting Comfy: Insects feel right at home in dirty spaces, so if you want fewer uninvited house guests, keep your ductwork tidy.
- Increase Efficiency of Your HVAC System: Sometimes buildup of dust, dirt, hair and debris can cause blockages in your ducts making them less efficient. A cleaning can clear blockages giving your system a break.
- Extend the Life of Your System: If your ductwork is working overtime due to buildup or blockages, you may see increase wear-and-tear on your system causing premature breakdown. Avoid costly repairs or replacement by performing regular maintenance.
Do You Need A Duct Cleaning?
You may be wondering if a duct cleaning is necessary this year. Before you pull a John McClane and start crawling through your ducts to find out, here are some things to consider:
- Your ducts should be cleaned every 3-5 years. If you can’t remember, it’s likely time to get it on your calendar.
- Did you relocate recently? If you’ve moved, then a duct cleaning may be necessary to remove dust, allergens, debris and other irritants from the previous occupants.
- Have you had work done on your home? If yes, it’s important to note that construction work often leaves additional dust, dirt, and debris floating through your indoor air settling in your ducts.
- Do you have pets? While we love our pets, we don’t love the shedding and dander they leave everywhere. Consider a duct cleaning more frequently if you’ve got four-legged roommates. Asthma or allergy sufferers in the home? If yes, they may benefit from a duct cleaning and reduce suffering when indoors.
- Water damage to your home? If your home currently has or has had water damage in the past, mold and mildew may be lurking within the ductwork. Don’t let it get out of control. A cleaning should eliminate and prevent issues.
- Smokers in the home now or previously? Smoke can leave residue within the ductwork, so reduce the affects on you and your family by cleaning it up.
Schedule Your Duct Cleaning
If your air ducts look like the backseat of your car, let Legacy take it from here. We can rid your ducts of dirt, dust, allergens, Legos, and mold protecting your family’s health and your investment.
Right now, Legacy is offering discounted pricing on annual duct cleaning. Get on the calendar today and breathe easier tomorrow.